Learn all aspects of the Accountant’s responsibilities with special emphasis on all or a combination of the duties listed below.
- Prepare/post journal entries and supporting documentation and take necessary action to correct any errors
- Participate in month-end close process
- Assist in preparation of financial statements and management reports
- Reconcile assigned balance sheet accounts to general ledger on monthly basis
- Analyze assigned income statement general ledger accounts (month-over-month and YTD)
- Assist in the timely completion of regulatory filings as assigned (NCUA 5300 Call Report, FHLB Collateral Certification, Unclaimed Property Filings, and other state and federal filings)
- Maintain fixed assets records as well as the related depreciation journals at each month end
- Assist in departmental internal audits including accounts payable and wire transfers
- Assist in maintaining First South Credit Union’s investment portfolio by researching rates, purchasing investment instruments, and managing records using Prologue investment software
- Support the SVP of Accounting & Finance with adhoc projects, workflow process improvements, and other related duties as necessary
- Act as a backup for other accounting personnel and perform other duties as assigned to include accounts payable, initiating and/or approving wire transfers, cash management, and other duties critical to daily operations of department
EDUCATION/ SKILLS / QUALIFICATIONS:
Education and Experience
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
- 4-5 years credit union or banking experience preferred
- 2-3 years of work experience in a Sr. Accounting role preferred
Required Program Experience
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge in Excel
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
Preferred Program Experience
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Windows
- Analytical ability to use financial information for solving problems
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work mutually with other employees (both inside and outside of accounting), as well as independently
- Willingness to learn new responsibilities in order to meet the changing demands of the organization and accounting department
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
- Must be able to sit, stand, walk, talk, see and hear for extended periods of time.
- The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls.
- The ability to reach, move, lift or carry objects up to 10 lbs.
- Local travel is occasionally required.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job.
- Full Time
First South Financial Credit Union is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.Go to main navigation