Mortgage Loan Underwriter
Responsible for underwriting FNMA and FHLMC residential loan applications.
- Provide conditions for the loan file and support for some complex scenarios.
- Address any High Risk flags on the LoanSafe Fraud Manager report. Review the report for more complex issues
- Monitor credit for undisclosed debt.
- Verify that documented assets meet or exceed required funds to close plus meet reserve requirements. Analyze assets for inclusion/exclusion when necessary
- Verify required assets for other financed properties per product guidelines.
- Verify that the credit docs are not expired.
- Calculate rate spread to certify that the loan is a qualified mortgage.
- Monitor LTV and DTI calculations when additional information is received to ensure loan is still within guidelines. Troubleshoots and can offer thorough knowledge of the information.
- Thorough knowledge of federal and state regulations governing mortgage lending.
- Thorough knowledge of overlays that are required by the investors.
- Thorough knowledge of product guidelines.
- Maintain effective communication with the credit union staff to ensure that the mortgage procedures are efficient. Suggest updates to procedures and communicate issues to processor.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND/OR QUALIFICATIONS:
- Two year minimum mortgage underwriting experience or 5 years processing experience with a working knowledge of FNMA, FHLMC, FHA, USDA and VA loan products.
- High school diploma or equivalent. Associate’s degree preferred.
- Thorough oral and written communication skills.
- Working knowledge of first-mortgage real estate lending practices, including federal regulatory requirements, state regulations and agency requirements.
- Thorough analytical skills, with a high degree of accuracy. Ability to perform income analysis and analyze complex tax returns, including corporate, partnership and S-corporations.
- Thorough in using office equipment, including computers, calculators, fax machines, copy machines, typewriters, etc.
- Thorough ability to perform both in a team environment and independently as needed.
- Thorough ability to perform in a multi-task environment, with the ability to prioritize tasks.
- National Mortgage Licensing System Requirements.
- Positive Attitude
The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job:
- Must be able to sit, stand, walk, talk, see and hear for extended periods of time.
- The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls.
- The ability to reach, move, lift or carry objects up to 10 lbs.
- Local travel is occasionally required.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job.
First South Financial Credit Union is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.Go to main navigation